you have yourself
and all the birthday cake
you can hold
you do not need me
or my thoughts
you you you you
I think I have my title
is awaiting moderation
and your order detained
pending a looksee
into your intentions
each choice you make
since the last time you
were found wandering
in the zoo
reading Keats and Millay
to the zebras and the emu
I am sorry.
I ate all the Little Debbie’s
from the box
They were sweet
and so delectable
dipped into my coffee.
This is Just to Say, by William Carlos Williams
This is Not Just to Say, by Robert Okaji
I reached into my pocket and felt around for the shorty, a cigarette I put out under my boot when I had to duck into the butcher. I lit it.
The tip went cold and I shifted packages to one side awkwardly. A hand under my elbow held it steady while another brought ’round a match.
“Thank you green eyes, ” I said, and smiled, dropping the package of chops at his feet. “You saved me. I needed this smoke.”
We both bent for the package at once, bumping heads. I burned his neck with the cigarette, and dropped it.
Standing still, I let him pick it up for me, but instead of handing it to me, he put it under one arm and took my other packages as well. “Was that your last?” he asked.
“Yes. I smoked so many at a pub last night,” I said, wondering why I told this to a stranger. He started walking with my packages and my heels skipped over pavement to catch up.
Continue reading “Off kilter”
This is an old fashioned Monday Random in its purest form – a stream of consciousness – thoughts with no theme. Yesterday required a lot of talking. Today – everything I want to say is lined up in my mind like bullet points. So let’s get to it.
- There is something to be said for pizza suppers with only two plates and two glasses to wash after I’ve left them overnight
- Not paper plates because I don’t like to use many disposables
- We are going on a trip this summer we cannot afford
- To save money we are eating eggs at 2/3 meals and found this is a very easy way to cut down on grocery costs
- Salsa is a great ingredient for putting tomatoes and onions in the eggs when I am out of produce
- Plus you can’t get a good tomato in May
- My mother’s day became very special with an unexpected phone call and I am utterly grateful
- For someone writing with brevity I am using a shit-ton of adverbs
- I’m really grateful and happy for yesterday
- I promised I would spend nothing on myself last week then bought a book of poetry
- It’s a disease
- I learned something this week about negotiating conflict
- Explaining well is no guarantee someone will agree with me
- I can live with them not agreeing with me
- Talking things out is less important for convincing someone of my side and more important for learning to listen and seeing what they have to say
- It seems you can sell some very bad poetry when you include a photo of a bare ass
Have a great Monday, and I will try and do the same !