The miracle of gratitude is that it shifts your perception to such an extent that it changes the world you see.
-Dr. Robert Holden
- This week while boiling off some great broth for Thanksgiving gravy, I remembered that I used to write out a gratitude journal
- I got the idea from an Oprah show in the 90’s, but I’m not sure if the idea came from Oprah or Iyanla Vanzant.
- I learned a few things from both of them back then, but first, the journaling
- Oprah suggested writing 5 things a day you are thankful for. They do not have to be big
- What I learned from this exercise is that choosing to be grateful changed how I viewed the people in my life
- It changed how I viewed God’s influence in my life
- It made me less bitter
- That one is huge
Continue reading “Monday Random: thank you”
- I went to mail a letter in my building without looking in the mirror first.
- Day by day, I am getting back to my normal self
- Whatever normal is
- Perhaps normal is what I feel like inside, without anyone else’s expectations
- I would also try to erase some regrets, though they cannot really be forgotten, and add to our experiences, what makes us wiser
- sadder and wiser
- Today’s weather here is a good illustration of how I view my life right now
Continue reading “Monday Random”
- I baked a chicken dish this week that was delicious.
- Sadly I do not think I can repeat it, as I cooked as if I were painting or writing words, and wrote nothing down
- Our local grocery had chicken quarters for 39 cents a pound, so I couldn’t resist, especially since that is my favourite part of the bird, especially the thighs
- Hubby is a breast man
- Basically it was salt, black pepper, chili powder, granulated garlic, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, basil, and turmeric. I basted it every half hour at 375F with bottled balsamic salad dressing.
- It got all brown and sticky and moist, very rich. Great over rice.
- NaNoWriMo is here once more
- For the uninitiated, the idea is to write a 50k word novel in 30 days
- From the past ventures, I have 1 rough draft and two unfinished novels
- I can’t seem to finish
- Is this laziness, or was I built more for sprints than long distance running?
- Not giving up
- Besides I need a break from sewing these little felt things I’ve been poking at for months now.
- I really thought the craft show would go better, but it takes time to get how it all works and how to market oneself, even at a 6×3 foot table
- Even after sending gifts I still have a good hundred at least of these little felt Christmas ornaments and key chains. The majority are keychains.
- If you hit me up in e-mail or my contact page, and paypal me 25 bucks, I’ll send you a dozen assorted little bears and hearts and things, (US only) and for another five bucks, I’ll throw in an original poem signed by me
- I really do have to recoup some of my material costs
- Then I will start again
- On the positive side, my sewing skills are getting better, and I have many new projects for the coming year
- I am getting a bit of arthritis, and I never will forget my mother telling me the secret is to keep your fingers busy
- If you get idle, they will get gnarled up and not work anymore for you
- If they are kept industrious, they still might get gnarly in time, but they won’t stop working, and that’s what I want.
- After all, I could live to be a hundred
- So it is monday again, and at my house that means gray and rain and talk of snow at the end of the week
- Illinois folks learn to be resilient so we are geared up with our mittens and our ice scrapers and drive on without a thought about snow before Thanksgiving.
- Not a thought
Enjoy your Monday! It is the only one that will ever be just like today.
Here’s some kind of chill groove I have been listening to while writing this morning
- It was very pretty today. We were both home and decided to get out and hang with nature
Continue reading “Monday Random: warm days, cold nights”
- How do you act under stress?
- Do you take it out on others or do you internalize the struggle?
- Do you simply get to work and work doubly hard to complete the task well?
- Do you crumble and cry in a corner?
- The time for the craft show has come. It should be that craft show, or this craft show, but it is simply dubbed ‘Thee craft show’, which I think is a mistake now, considering expectations and hopes riding on one day
- Everyone knows you rarely break even on the first show
- If it rains, all bets are off
- We keep coming back to the calm place and saying, it’s okay if we don’t make money the first time (lies, all lies)
Continue reading “Monday Random: crunch time”
- It has been a while since we’ve convened on a Monday, hasn’t it? Let’s do this
- First I wanted to tell you that I got a little sick from eating a bitter zucchini.
- Apparently, this is called curcurbit poisoning
- I found the information while looking for ways to curb the flavour of a zucchini that was particularly bitter i.e. like in the way that you make eggplant palatable
- This is very rare, so don’t be scared, just take note if your squash tastes bitter
- You can lose your hair
- You can die from it
Continue reading “Monday Random: imminent disaster”
- Have I mentioned how much I love bullet points?
- I have a tendency to go on and veer off-topic, and, what’s the phrase for it?
- Oh right, I go off on tangents
- These little points keep my tangents brief, still allowing me the pasture my mind seems to covet
- It is funny really, as, inside me, there is an orderly person trying to get out
- Just like I prefer wide open spaces in a home, expanses of carpet and minimal, comfortable furniture
- Only what is needed
- No you may not see a photo of my home
- or my desk
Continue reading “Monday random”
- I miss what Twinkies tasted like before. I can’t eat them often, but now and then it would be nice to have one taste like it used to
- I am still going through boxes and downsizing since the move. It was hard to get rid of some things then. Now, a little easier, but sometimes I still sit with a paper in my hand, or a book, or momento and I can’t let it go.
- I never thought that would happen to me
- I really don’t like clutter.
Continue reading “Monday Random: nostalgic”